We are on a big journey at Waddle, pushing the boundaries of lending for small businesses. We started our journey five years ago, building an industry leading product to enable simple, quick and digital access to lending for small businesses. The product enables the customer to manage their daily cash flow requirements to suit the way they manage their business and works hand and hand with cloud accounting software. Our product was so successful that we now enable other lenders in multiple markets to use the product for their own customers.
We were recently acquired by the global cloud accounting software company, Xero, who saw a beautiful connection between our purpose “making it easy for small businesses to access lending” and their purpose “helping small businesses to thrive worldwide”. When these purposes align, we’re not only helping small businesses, we’ll be building a stronger economy that can change the world.
How you'll make an impact:
The Waddle Designer will be responsible for designing beautiful, enabling and meaningful experiences that solve genuine customer problems. As the sole Designer at Waddle, you’ll have a large variety of work ahead of you, working on multiple small-medium scale projects across our direct lending product, our lending platform for lenders and integrations into platforms.
As we are now part of Xero, you will work with and leverage the expertise of the Xero team, but work independently on the Waddle platform, helping to create a new image and brand for the future.
What you'll do:
Design practice and thinking
- Work with the head of product to understand the Product Design vision and direction and build your design practice, focusing on consistency and quality of execution within your product design delivery
- Promote the value of design and collaborative practice across spheres of influence and participation
- Conduct desk research including domain and competitor analysis, interaction/design trends and 'best of' examples
- Analyse relevant considerations such as research insights (when not directly involved), product strategy and roadmaps, technical environment and constraints
- Contribute to the definition and articulation of ‘the problem’
- Create simple frameworks such as wireframes low/high-fi, visual frameworks, which articulate the components, journeys and elements required to solve 'the problem'
- Explore ideal future concepts that meet customer needs in the best possible way
- Create prototypes which tangibly demonstrate a proposed concept or solution
- Develop detailed interactions and interfaces which are smart and contextually relevant
- Create effective handover materials which clearly communicate how the design should look and behave throughout interaction flows and journeys (e.g. User flow diagrams, design specifications, experience/interaction specifications etc)
Design research and testing
- Contribute to identifying research opportunities, planning and undertaking research and testing relevant to your product area
- Participate in generative user research to understand customer underlying goals, needs, behaviours and pain points (where necessary)
- Participate in the synthesis of research data, drawing out and articulation of insights
- Waddle is lean and agile all the way through. We always start small and grow as we need, which applies to our design as much as it applies to our delivery process
- We have a flat leadership structure which means you can expect to be working with the founders on problems every day
- We have a casual working environment in a Chippendale town house where people wear what they want and keep the music playlist flowing
- We work closely with partners to deliver beautiful solutions, so you need to be flexible with your approach to a variety of attitudes and opinions
Success Looks Like:
- You’re delivering designs iteratively with the team to the highest quality standards
- You’re consistently delivering high quality solutions to meet customer and business problems
- You’re collaborating and contributing to your product and development teams
What you’ll bring with you:
- Track record of delivering quality design experiences
- Track record of solving customers' problems through design
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexible attitude, willingness to move fast
- A portfolio that demonstrates high-quality design outcomes, contributing to user experience and business value
- Skill and experience across the design process from uncovering customer needs and pain points, to executing elegant interfaces