We are on a big journey at Waddle, pushing the boundaries of lending for small businesses. We started our journey five years ago, building an industry leading product to enable simple, quick and digital access to lending for small businesses. The product enables the customer to manage their daily cash flow requirements to suit the way they manage their business and works hand and hand with cloud accounting software. Our product was so successful that we now enable other lenders in multiple markets to use the product for their own customers.
We were recently acquired by the global cloud accounting software company, Xero, who saw a beautiful connection between our purpose “making it easy for small businesses to access lending” and their purpose “helping small businesses to thrive worldwide”. When these purposes align, we’re not only helping small businesses, we’ll be building a stronger economy that can change the world.
How you'll make an impact:
We are looking for software engineers with a broad range of skills who are interested in creating a fantastic product for our users. You will be working with product specialists to deliver features from problem analysis all the way through to deployment.
One day you'll be running a kick-off session with our product owner and designers, the next day you will be pushing code to production. Collaboration is key to our success, so open and honest communication is essential. On the technical side, you will be deploying to multiple load-balanced machines, so an understanding of concurrent database access is important. We use Java/Kotlin and Spring for the back-end and our front-end applications are built with React.
What you'll do:
- Develop robust, high-quality software that meets the expectations of your product development team’s standards and procedures and meets modern best practices for highly scalable, reliable, maintainable software.
- Work collaboratively with a high performing team, providing honest open feedback to help everyone become the best version of themselves
- Be accountable for technical decisions and justifications in the team
- Be comfortable building a microservice architecture that delivers highly scalable, reliable, and maintainable APIs
- Code review colleagues’ work and provide insightful and constructive feedback.
- Work to build a clear picture of the customer’s problem to be solved, including interacting with Waddle’s product team to understand their pain points and deliver solutions that solve problems fast
- Assist product team with prototyping and preparation of software specifications and interaction designs for product features
- Continuous learning and development in the business domain and relevant technologies
- Identify and promote opportunities to extend and enhance the use of new technologies
- Waddle is lean and agile all the way through. We always start small and grow as we need, which applies to our code as much as it applies to our delivery process
- We have a flat leadership structure which means you can expect to be working with the founders on problems every day
Success Looks Like:
- Software is delivered in fast, frequent increments following lean/agile principles, with a sound understanding of CI/CD best practices and a high degree of test automation
- It’s understood that quality is a shared responsibility; your work passes peer reviews and includes unit and integration tests
- Quick responses and fixes to issues identified
- Agile processes are embraced and participated in by all team members
- Team's development practices are continually improving
- Collaborating inclusively and effectively within and between teams to produce the best customer outcomes
What you’ll bring with you:
- Excellent communication and networking skills – the ability to work with a wide variety of people
- Passion for building innovative, quality software with intuitive user experiences that customers love using a wide range of internet-based technologies.
- A love of rapidly building and shipping great SaaS products using modern, iterative methods.
- Ability to break down complex problems into actionable work, deliver real-world business outcomes and handle changing priorities
- A customer-centric attitude and an always-curious approach to problem-solving
- Ownership and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with AWS services and architectures including serverless
- Experienced in modern source code control and collaboration tools like Github.
- Experience working in an agile environment and in the use of work tracking tools such as JIRA.